Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Dreams/Radiance Student Recital

On Sunday, December 12th, Najmat's Tuesday night students performed at Melina's Moody Street Circus as part of the Dreams/Radiance Student Recital.  Students of Melina, Yael, Hanan, and Najmat - all teachers in the Boston area - performed and the teachers had their solos as well.

With 15 different performances, the show itself went by fairly quickly.  It was great to be part of a relaxed recital, and also to be part of a group that was more advanced.

I definitely saw myself in the "younger" dancers, and I marveled at how far I've come.  Though I know I have a lot more technique and style to hone in, it felt good to be at a place where I felt more comfortable than nervous.

Especially considering that we had only finished learning the choreography the Tuesday prior and Najmat had changed the very end of the piece that very day!

I love Najmat's style and I love watching her dance and I love taking her class.

But choreography is not her strong suite.  So, there were definitely moments when the group was struggling a little bit,.  But it felt nice to know that while she wanted us to look good, she wasn't too worried about how we would do on the night of the performance.

We danced to Saad's "El Enab," which is a fun sha'abi (Egyptian pop) song.  By the time the show came around, we were thoroughly tired of the song, and (I kid you not) it was actually making my Zune crash every time I would try to replay it!

But, I know that I will definitely have some fond memories now attached to this song.  With that, I leave you with the music video featuring the ever-beguiling Dina.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...