Monday, September 27, 2010

MassRaqs 2010 - Part 1

What an amazing weekend!  I wanted to write about my MassRaqs experience as a participant and as an assistant in the process.  I was more than happy to share my skills to help this event, and I feel like I've learned a lot about the process as well.

First of all, MassRaqs was created as a way to bring the New England belly dance community together for a weekend of discussion, learning, and performing.  In that respect, I believe that the event was a complete respect.  But, being the first year the event took place, there is definitely much for all of us to learn from.

Panel Presentation and Performances
Friday, September 24th

The first event of the weekend took place in Green Street Studios in Central Square.  It's amazing how one of the studios is able to change from a regular looking studio into a beautiful performance and show space.  One of the drawbacks, however, is the poor air circulation - when it's hot, it's hot!

As an event assistant, I knew that we had a limited amount of time to organize the space before the event could begin.  There were definitely enough hands, and we even got some help from one of the audience members.  Unfortunately, we did get started a bit later than scheduled, and we definitely ended a lot later than scheduled.

Perhaps it would have been useful to delegate exactly what needed to be done to the specific people who were going to be there to help.  That way, everyone could focus on their specific task and help anyone who might need extra help when they're done.

My approach to event organization is definitely one of multi-tasking.  Even if you were the one delegating tasks, you need to be moving around and helping with things as well.  "Floating" doesn't mean just standing around while everyone is moving.

As a participant of the event, I though the discussion and video sampler of Amy Smith and DeAnna Putnam's "Aziza!" was wonderful.  There were conversations about the changes in the New England belly dance scene throughout the years, thoughts on preserving the past as well as the present, and hopes for the future of the community.

I have to admit, I was enthralled by the conversation.  I felt proud to be part of the New England belly dance community, considering that the American belly dance scene really started in Boston.

After the panel, difference dancers from all over New England (from Connecticut to Maine, Rhode Island to Vermont, and everything in between) performed their different styles of raqs sharqi.  It was a pleasure to watch the dancers, many of whom are my friends.  I have to admit that my face hurts from the joy of watching them.

After the event was over, there was, of course, the break down part of the event.  Again, while it seemed to take less time to take everything down and put everything back, it still would be useful to have delegated tasks.  Also, the event should have been planned down to the second.  Dancers arrive at a specific time, panel ends lasts a specific amount of time, etc.  Overall, though, the first event of the weekend was a success.

Saturday Workshops
Saturday, September 25th
Saturday featured 3 workshops from 3 different teachers.  Unfortunately, Cassandra had an injury and was unable to come to Boston for the weekend.  I know that many participants were eager to learn from her, and many were disappointed that she wasn't able to teach her workshops.  However, I do think that Meiver did what she could at such short notice, and considering that Boẑenka was the replacement teacher, I think that we were lucky to still have the workshops available to us.

Obviously, it would only benefit us to be exposed to a variety of teachers.  Though, on the other hand, I think it would have also been awesome to extend Boẑenka's already assigned workshops.  I mean, who couldn't use more work on their Hands and Arms?

As a event assistant, I was mainly charged with preparing registration sign-in forms and making sure the vendors had all they needed.  I definitely went into event mode the second I stepped off the bus.  The vendors were one of the first to arrive, and I helped to get them set up on their tables.  I also helped to set up the registration table, prepared with signage and tons of pens.

Throughout the day, I stayed relatively vigilant about who was coming in through the doors and elevators, even though I tried to focus on participating in the workshops.

Meiver - Exciting Combinations for Modern Oriental Style
Having studied and learned some Modern Oriental style with Meiver for the Baraka event, I was proud to know that I was probably a little more advanced than some of the others who were new to Meiver's style.  Considering that I found the Modern Oriental to be the most challenging, I knew it would only benefit me more to take this workshop.

Part of the combination was similar to the choreography we learned for Baraka, but the changed in the choreography were just as challenging as learning it the entire choreography the first time.  Honestly, I think Meiver's choreography and combinations are beautiful and exciting.  It takes some serious skill to produce choreography in the graceful way that she does.

Boẑenka - Arms and Hands: Technique for Fluid Arm Movement and Emotive Gesturing
I think that part of what made me fall in love with belly dance was the snake arms.  I know, however, that it's something I need a lot of work on.  Boẑenka worked us all very hard!  There was definitely a lot of movement repetition and keeping our arms up.  I was scared I was going to be extremely sore the next day, but I wasn't.

You definitely need some serious arm and shoulder strength to help you get to the point of having gorgeous arms and hands.  But Boẑenka's stretching suggestions were also extremely helpful.  I know that I don't really think about stretching my hands and wrists very often, but now I will be more conscious of doing so.  Watching her move her arms and hands really made me feel inspired to keep working on my own technique.

Boẑenka for Cassandra - Beledi Stylings
I heart the beledi.  It's so earthy and fun.  Boẑenka reminded us, however, that while it is an earthy dance style, it is still a very proud dance style.  Earthy does not mean that technique gets lost, but that it is a different feeling added onto the technique.  She taught us a bit of combinations and then took us through some zill/zagat work.

It was interesting to see how she taught the finger cymbals.  Most of my instructors have focused on alternating the hands, so that both hands are used.  But Boẑenka stressed that the right hand (or your dominant hand) kept the beat while the left hand inserted little accents.  I have to admit that it was difficult to change to that way of playing after having played a different way for so long.  But it was an interesting way to think about the zills.

By this final workshop of the day, my feet were achy and I was tired from getting very little sleep the night before.  I was excited to go home and rest for the final day of MassRaqs.

Coming Up Next:  Sunday Workshops, Gala, and Final Thoughts

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...