Friday, August 13, 2010

Video: "Yearning" with Fan Veil

On August 6th, I participated once again in the Quarry Hill Talent Show that is the precursor to the All Night Costume Dance Party.  This event, in it's 27th or 28th year, originally started as a birthday celebration, but grew to be a reunion of the kids who grew up there as well as an all-around summer celebration.

I took the opportunity to perform there 2 years ago as a way to get used to dancing in a public arena, especially where the audience was made mainly of other dancers.  It's been a great experience for me, as I am free to explore new things without too much pressure.  It's a Talent Show, and one that is mainly for fun!

This was my first time using fan veils in a performance.  Since I've been participating in an intense repertory class with Meiver, I've come to really love the fan veils.  I need to practice with them a bit more and learn some more techniques, but it's just so much fun to play with.

Originally, I was planning to dance to "Miserlou," a song popularized by Dick Dale in his surf guitar style, though its roots come from deeper in history.  But, I just was having a hard time working through the song with the fan veils.  I felt that they needed more drama associated with them.  I decided on "Yearning," by Raul Ferrando, another popular song among dancers.  The drama and the beauty that I associate with the fan veils really come through in that song.

So, here is a video of my performance taken by one of my friends.  Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...