Saturday, August 6, 2011

Amira Jamal's Student Recital 2011

I can't believe I didn't write about this already!  It's been quite a busy summer, indeed.

On May 7, 2011, Amira Jamal held her annual Student Recital at the Performing Arts Center of Metrowest.  Though her student recitals used to take up several hours, there were less performances this year so the entire recital was only about an hour.

From her advanced class in Boston, there were only 2 of us who were available to perform.  Amira has so many amazing students, and it's always been a blessing to be counted in that group.

Now that I recognize and know so many of the other dancers from other workshops and events, it's been great to see so many of them break out into solo performances.  Like me, I'm sure that they view Amira's student recitals as a wonderful place to try new things, even if that new thing is performing something on their own.

At this year's recital, I decided on dancing to "El Layali" by Nawal al Zoghbi, a more poppy tune.  Here's the music video for it.  So 90's!




It's a pretty fun song, and I chose to use the veil throughout the performance, making it more of an American Cabaret performance.  I thoroughly enjoyed this years recital, and I felt a lot more relaxed than I usually do about performances.  I hope that means that I'm also improving and growing in my dance.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...