Wednesday, March 16, 2011

"A Maiti Voice" Presented by Johara & Snake Dance Theater

I had the pleasure of attending "A Maiti Voice" presented by Johara and the Snake Dance Theater on Sunday, March 6th at the YMCA Theater in Cambridge.

The event was a benefit for Maiti Nepal, an organization that helps to prevent child trafficking and provides services for survivors.  Truly, it's an important cause even in these times.

Really, the awesome part about this show is that it was more than just a belly dance show.  For many of the belly dance events, there is usually a variety of performers and even within the same genre of dance there is variety.

This event featured not only the belly dance pieces that I'm familiar with, including tribal, fusion, and Egyptian-style, but also some traditional Nepali dancing.

The show was amazing, really.  So much variety, and the Snake Dance Theater had amazing pieces and costume changes.  I particularly enjoyed the performance to Laylet Hob with tea trays and a shamadan, as well as the 2 Nepali dance pieces.

In truth, I had never seen Nepali dancing before, but it definitely made me think a lot about the origins of the dance.

Because of my limited experience with Nepali dancing, it reminded me a lot of Indian dancing, which geographically makes a lot of sense.  The music and many of the dance moves were somewhat similar, especially in the singing along to the songs.

It made me think a lot about the origins of belly dance, traditional Filipino dances, and other indigenous dances around the world.  What path did they follow?  While it makes sense that cultural traditions such as dancing followed the path of migration, I wonder if there was more to it.  How did they then evolve?

Do any of you know of any books that talk about this?  I'm sure I could Wikipedia the information, but it seems like there's more of a history of Western dance.  A good and informative book about dances and cultural wear around the world definitely beats that.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...