Saturday, March 13, 2010

Point of Views on Middle Eastern Dance - "Civilization" Video Game

This lazy Saturday morning, my boyfriend is trying out some new games he's acquired.  I wake up to see him playing Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution.
Taking over the world...one culture at a time...
Having very limited knowledge of video games, though I will admit that I dabble once in a while, I was at first shocked to see the representations of different cultures.  But as I was still rubbing the sleep out of my eyes, my boyfriend told me that he was currently playing as Saladin, "a Kurdish Muslim warrior and self-proclaimed Sultan of Arabia."

If you take a look at the website, there's 16 different cultures you can represent, from Aztec Nation to Zulu Nation.  Each leader is accompanied by historical background, all factual.

So, from what I've gathered, you can use different tactics to win game - technology, culture, economic, and warfare.  But I'm assuming it would be beneficial to use all the tactics in one way or another.  But, as my boyfriend had already built up some culture points, there was a hall in the capital that featured acrobats, dancing bears, and belly dancers.

I managed to grab some video of the dancing, and thought it would be neat to share.

Not bad, really.  I see a couple of figure 8's, undulations, Egyptian hip hits.  I tried to find some information on the music, but I couldn't really find much of anything.  If anyone recognizes it, please let me know in the comments!

In general, it does seem like the game tries really hard to be true to history, so I didn't find myself too offended after watching more of the game play.  I did appreciate the presence of Middle Eastern dancers, and the fact that they weren't completely "Hollywood-ized."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...