Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Viva La Diva Weekend Part 3 - Zambra Mora and Conclusion

Zambra Mora
Sunday's workshop had a smaller group in it, but I think that was for the best! With all the skirt-whooshing, we probably would have hurt ourselves and each other if the workshop was packed.

Though I've included a link about Zambra Mora, I was hesitant about posting more about it. The link I provided, however, repeats what we learned this past weekend about the style. Dondi and Titanya stressed that there's nothing conclusive about what they or anyone else has learned about the style. They know that it preceded Flamenco, and that it most likely was not an actual dance. But even in their travels to Andalusia and Southern Spain, they found minimal information. I found it fascinating that Zambra Mora was once outlawed and is such an underground style, almost to the point of denying all the cross-over and intermingling that is generally important in the birth of creativity.

Zambra Mora, which translates to "Moorish party," seems to be both fiery and earthy, often danced barefoot and proclaiming emotions. There's a focus on duende, or feeling a passion in the body and soul, and those emotions are expressed in the powerful movements and the noises that is often made during the movement. One interesting tidbit we learned was that "Olé" is derived from the Arabic "wa'Allah" ("by Allah" or "by God"). It might seem silly, but that information blew my mind!!! Though the more I think about it, the less I'm surprised, especially coming from a culture that has 300 years of Spanish rule behind it. I think it's just one of those things you don't really think about until someone points it out.

Another way to think about Zambra Mora is "Spanish Fusion." A lot of the power and movement in Flamenco comes from this style, and the moves and choreography we learned echoed it. At first, we learned a variety of ways to twirl our skirts around. Moving in a circle around the room was somewhat exhilarating. You could almost feel the energy swirling around with us. Then Titanya showed us some beautiful hand movements. That was definitely a highlight for me! I know I need to work some more on my hands, and like I've said before her hands are a great example to follow.

The choreography was definitely a little more difficult on this day. Much of the routine was with a partner, at times moving opposite them. There was also a lot of turning from one side to another quickly. A lot of time was spent on moves that involved turning around our partners, and then speeding it up. We luckily kept each other balanced, though. I also had to keep from tripping on my skirt! They have so much fabric on them, I had to roll up the top a little.


We danced to "Qadukka-I-Mayyas" by Jesse Cook

Like I mentioned before, making noises is part of the dance. Zaghareets, yips, and clapping all get incorporated into the moves - but when you feel it naturally, not actually choreographed into a routine. I like all the yipping and shouting that's part of the dance. I think that we were all concentrating so much on getting the moves down that we did a lot less exclaiming, though. It makes me think a bit about technique vs. feeling. The essence of both Middle Eastern Dance and Zambra Mora seems to be in the emotions and feeling the music enough to express it in our bodies. I think it's a powerful message - one I plan to carry with me in my future lessons.

Another lesson we learned was the difference in clapping styles between the Arabic and the Spanish. In Arabic, the clapping style is called a qaf, and it's with fingers open and somewhat separated. Qaf wounds more high pitched. In Spanish, the clapping style is called a palma, which is with cupped hands. Palma sounds deeper and more muffled. It was fun to compare the two.


Aside from their teaching styles and friendly nature, I thoroughly enjoyed their history lessons!!! They spoke a lot about their own histories as well as the origins of some of the movements. Through their personal stories, they taught us a lot about what works for different people's bodies and main Element, as well as what is appropriate in the various dance settings (from country to country or from club to wedding). For example, if you're dancing in an Arabic country, DO NOT accept a drink from a server (probably bought by one of the guests), because it means you'll be sleeping with one of the guests! Also, if tips are thrown in your direction, you have to avoid stepping on the bills - it's considered disrespectful because the Sheiks pictures are on the bills! Basically, Dondi and Titanya are a wealth of knowledge! There's so much more that they shared with us, that it's hard to remember everything as I write about it. If you get an opportunity to learn from them, it's worth it!

We barely got a taste on Saturday of what each of the Five Elements were about. None of us can say that we've become experts on it. If I ever get the chance (and the funds! Read more on that below), I would love to take the 5-day workshop with Dondi and Titanya! I think the workshops would really help a person gain some insight about themselves, their surroundings, and the people around them. Plus, they are both just fabulous people! I'm going to credit their warm and welcoming nature to them having grown up in the South Pacific (yay!). But, it was great to meet two fabulous and well known dancers, and to learn that they are so grounded and humbled. Perhaps when I travel to the West Coast again, I will ask them about any happenings in the community. I think many people always say that they welcome emails and keeping in touch. But when they said it this weekend, it's the first time I felt it was nothing less than sincere.

The Reason Why I'm Broke (but Happy) Now
The danger of attending a weekend-long workshop is that there will always be shopping. Oh, glorious, exhilarating shopping. This weekend, Viva La Diva and the vendors basically took over an entire section of the Courtyard Marriott. An entire hallway was full of sparklies and flouncies and swooshies. I spent WAY too much money.

Though I now need to really sell some things just to not be broke (wait....did you click on that link? Go ahead...do it....I'll wait..............ok...be sure to email me, okay? :D), I walked away with two new veils, a cover up/shawl, two silver rings, and a gypsy skirt pictured below. Ay...my bank account will be hurting...but I had such a fabulous weekend! I feel like a different dancer, more educated and armed with my arsenal of costumage.

I feel so blessed to have been a part of that whole weekend, and I look forward to next year's workshop!

Gorgeous skirts and veils and women!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...