Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Saturn's Return

Entering my late mid-twenties (disguised as my early late-twenties), my friend Joya clued me into "Saturn's Return." According to this astrological theory, this is the time when lots of changes occur - goals are attained, milestones are reached. Though it's not supposed to be about painful upheaval, I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't some of that thrown into the mix for the fun of it all.

Since April 23rd of 2009, I must say there have been a lot of things going on in this 27 year old's life. From the more personal part, I've had to make some decisions about how far I'm willing to stretch myself for other people. But, that's not necessarily something I'm ready to get into in the blogosphere (god, what a word I never thought I'd use...).

With my night job, I felt like there needed to be a change. I love the intimacy (pun intended!) of the house parties. But I knew I needed to take it to another level. So, I started with my personal contacts (especially Perry - the personification of a Rolodex), and received a couple of great leads! As of today, I will be doing a gig on June 14th at the Savant Project in Roxbury. I am super excited to get this kind of exposure for my business! The owner of the Savant Project seems like a great guy, and he seems to be doing quite well in that area. I also have one other person to get into contact with. Hopefully, before this week is over, I will have made contact and will have another meeting with a bartender about doing a bar promotion.
got toys? I do.

Then, there's belly dancing. It's an expensive hobby! But I love it. I've been signing onto different networks, learning about workshops in the area, and signing up to take classes with different teachers. I loveAmira Jamal, but I have a tendency to become super faithful to my teachers. While I think being faithful is a good thing, it can also limit a persons education. I was bummed that she wasn't going to do a summer session, but it was a clear sign that I needed to get out of that comfort zone. So, I've signed up as a member of the New England Belly Dance Association, signed up to take an upcoming workshop, and am planning to check out Najmat's classes at the Green Street Studios. Once I can afford it, there's a whole slew of workshops that I'm wanting to take before October.
(Picture taken by Nina Lytton)
Now, all of this takes a lot of money. Money that my day job doesn't necessarily help me out with. But, it feels great to have made all this headway with these 3 parts of my life.
I want to be wary about screaming, "Go ahead, Saturn!! Bring it on!!!"

But, for now, it doesn't feel too bad at all.

1 comment:

  1. i love how dainty and graceful your hands look in that belly dancing picture!!!

    sooooooo pretty!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...